Springfield Armory Museum - Collection Record
Send us your own comments about this object.
|Title:||GUN, MACHINE - RUSSIAN MACHINE GUN DP DEGTYAREV 7.62MM SN# 404|
|Maker/Manufacturer:||DEGTARYEV, VASILY A.|
|Date of Manufacture:||1940|
|Catalog Number:||SPAR 2619|
|Measurements:||OL:127.2CM 50 1/8" BL: 60.4CM 23 7/8" 26 1/4 lbs.|
RUSSIAN MACHINE GUN DP DEGTYAREV 7.62MM SN# 404
Manufactured in Russia in 1940 - Standard Russian DP, gas-operated, air-cooled infantry light machine gun. Full-automatic fire only. 4-groove rifling; right-hand twist. Square-notch tangent leaf rear; adjustable post front sight. Fed by 47-shot pan-type magazine. Full-auto only. Effective rate of fire approximately 80 rpm. Cyclic rate of fire 550 rpm. Muzzle velocity 2760 fps. Effective range of 880 yards; maximum range 2540 yards. Weapon weighs approximately 26 1/4 lbs. Complete with 47-rd. pan magazine. No bipod.
Weapon found in one of "29 Boxes of Miscellaneous Foreign Weapons as received from New York Port of Embarkation on 6 March 1946, per SA OOO.4/17 and 28. Note: Itemized list showing quantities and descriptions of individual weapons to be attached and made part of this voucher promptly upon completion of checking in of weapons in Experimental-Laboratory, Building No. 28. Weapon to be retained in Experimental-Laboratory for an indefinite period for examination and study per Mr. P.W. Oliver, 11 March 1946, after which they will be regreased and boxed suitable for storage and place with other Museum Material in Building #19 pending reopening of the Armory Museum."
Weapon transferred to the Museum from the Aberdeen Proving Ground on 14 October 1959. At that time weapon was appraised at $100.
Notes: "Adopted by the Soviet military forces in 1927, as the standard automatic-fire support weapon of each rifle squad.
The Degtyarev is one of the simplest most reliable light machine guns yet designed. The unusual pan magazine, the gun's most detracting feature, is difficult to load and clumsy in operation; but it allows the rimmed Russian cartridges, which are very susceptible to jamming in any type of arm, to be fed into the gun with a very high degree of reliability. The barrel has a quick-change feature. Early barrels have cooling rings; there were dispensed with in may wartime guns to speed production. The grip safety, located directly behind the trigger guard, blocks the trigger. When the hand grips the gun is fire, the safety is automatically squeezed without conscious effort, releasing the trigger and allowing the gun to fire. The front sight is adjustable for ranges of 100 and 1500 meters. The butt stock usually has an oil container set into the top of the comb, but is not fitted with a butt plate. The DP was the most widely used of the various Degtyarev models and modifications." - Johnson & Lockhoven.
Johnson, George B. & Hans B. Lockhoven. INTERNATIONAL ARMAMENT. Vol. II. International Small Arms Publishers. Cologne, Germany. 1965.
Rate Your Search
Searching provided by: